Landscaping can be a big challenge if your house sits on top of a hill. However, the hill shouldn't keep you from creating an appealing landscape design. With some creativity and the help of a good landscaper, it isn't hard to transform your yard into a beautiful place.
Flatten Some of the Land
If you allow part of your hill to remain a grassy area, you have to mow the lawn uphill regularly. However, that can be a lot of work. So, instead, you should consider hiring a landscaping company that has the landscaping supplies needed to flatten part of the land. This way, you can create a lovely patio and backyard area.
When you're looking for a company to excavate and grade the land, there are a few questions that you should ask the contractor, including:
- How he plans to excavate the land without losing support. This way, you don't have to worry about landslides.
- How the waterflow will be controlled so that rainwater or melting snow doesn't flood your backyard.
- What you need to do to maintain the retaining wall that will hold the soil in place.
Use the Hill to Your Advantage
When you plant flowers, shrubs, and trees on land that is flat, it's easy for everything to blend together. However, the slope of your yard eliminates this problem if you use it to your advantage. Talk to your landscaping company about building small retaining walls at various levels to create multiple flower beds. When they plant flowers in the small garden areas, have them plant the shorter flower in front and taller plants or shrubs in the back to make each section visually appealing. Don't forget to have the landscaping company create a walkway with steps so that it's easy for you to walk down the hill and admire your garden.
Planting trees in your yard when your house sits at the top of the hill not only add beauty to your yard, but can provide you with extra privacy. There are several different places that you can plant trees, including:
- Mid-sized trees can be planted in the back flower bed areas.
- Plant large trees to line your driveway.
- Plant larger trees at the bottom of the hill to obscure the view of your yard from the road. Then, begin the rest of your landscaping design behind the roadside trees.
While there can be some disadvantages to owning a house that sits at the top of a hill, landscaping doesn't need to become a problem. Hiring a landscaping company, like Santerra Stonecraft, to help you create a visually appealing yard makes the entire process simple.